Council of Eastern Orthodox Churches of Central Massachusetts
Our parish is one of the twelve that make up this Pan-Orthodox Council. Many of the items listed below were established by the Council, of which our parish actively participates.
Located at St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Worcester. One of the four Orthodox parishes of Worcester staffs the Pantry each Saturday. Established for emergency food assistance, the Food Pantry has distributed food for 150-200 families a week. Many members of St Mary's offer $5 or more a month to help the Pantry purchase food.
Holy Trinity Eastern Orthodox Nursing Home and Rehab Center
This 113 bed facility opened in 1994, it is the first Pan Orthodox facility of its kind. The Council parishes are supporters of the project and the fifteen member Board of Directors consist of twelve laymen and three clergy from Council parishes. Weekly Liturgies are served along with a variety of services throughout the year. Over half of the residents are Eastern Orthodox. Parishioners from St Mary's regularly volunteer at Holy Trinity. For more information contact Dn Mark Doku, Director of Development, at 508-854-0620.
Located at Hope Cemetery in Worcester, a section was purchased by the Council of Orthodox Churches for the burial of Orthodox Christians. Every Monday of Memorial Day weekend, local Orthodox clergy serve a Trisagion service along with the faithful at a permanent granite Altar in the Orthodox section of the cemetery. Our parishioner, Norman Simo, is one of the coordinators for the purchase of plots.
Sunday of Orthodoxy Pan Orthodox Liturgy
Each of the twelve Council parishes close every Sunday of Orthodoxy to celebrate a joint Hierarchical Liturgy at St George Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral, with a guest hierarch from one of the respective jurisdictions. Attendance is from 800-1000 faithful. A Lenten dinner is served at St Spyridon Greek Orthodox Cathedral following the service.
St Mary's has a small religious store which provides Orthodox Crosses, Icons, incense, prayer ropes, calendars, and books. The religious store is located in our church hall and is usually open following the Divine Liturgy on Sunday or by appointment.
We are blessed to have 70 registered children actively participating in our Church School Program. At this time we are re-establishing out Teen Youth Group and planning monthly meetings and scheduled activities.
Orthodox Church of Albania
In Albania every religious institution was closed in 1967 by the Communists. In 1990, the churches reopened and were in desperate need of aid. St Mary's has published Metropolitan John Pelushi's translation of the Icon Book (Ikonat), and 1000 copies were printed that were sent to the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania. Along with this, our community continues to support Orthodox missionaries in Albania as well as raising funds to help build or restore churches in Albania.