On August 13, 1911, the Albanians of Worcester organized a Chapter of St George's Cathedral of Boston. Four years later, in 1915, this branch was organized into the Church of St Mary's Assumption. From 1911-1917, services were held in various halls. In 1918, a German Presbyterian Church on 63 Wellington St was purchased. But at that time, only the first floor was completed. The second floor was completed by our parishioners. The Church was designed and styled to be a replica of St George in Korce, Albania. The Icons were painted by the Rev Naum Cere who had studied iconography in Odessa. In the late forties, the main entrance of St Mary's was extended and in 1956, the Church underwent major restoration.
On June 15, 1979, 10.6 acres of land at 535 Salisbury St were purchased from the Pearson family. In 1980, over 3 adjoining acres were donated to St Mary's. Our new Byzantine-style Church was designed by the architectural firm of Isaac & Isaac of Manchester, NH, an Albanian architect, Andrew Isaak. The first Liturgy was held on October 3, 1982.
1917 - The parish choir was organized
1946 - A.A.N.O began
1951 - Daughters of St Mary's was organized
1955 - The Mothers Club was founded to promote the Sunday School. This club was later renamed "The Women's Guild"
1968 - St Mary's Youth Group was organized
1972 - Sons of St Mary's was organized
1983 - Consecration of our Church on November 13
1990 - A 72 unit home for the elderly called Illyrians Gardens underwent construction
1991 - Illyrians Gardens opened
1994 - Holy Trinity opened
1995 - Celebrated our 80th Anniversary as a parish
2005 - Father Dennis Nagi became the Pastor of our church, and the Child Care Center opened
2009 - Father Timothy Cremeens became the Pastor of our church
2013 - Father Timothy Lowe became the Pastor of our church
2015 - Celebrating our 100th Anniversary as a parish